30 Poems in 30 Days

30 Poems in 30 Days
NaPoWriMo
A Project for National Poetry Writing Month

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Day 9 -- Big and Small


Big and Small

soil its life in creatures
beetles grubs earthworms
furred things snug in their dens
grooving the underground
spinning the planet

once my dog found three newborn
rabbits stashed down a shallow hole
in the backyard and nearly
demolished them but
I stopped her in time
though her teeth had nicked
one and there was some blood
and they were clearly terrified

I put them in a clay flowerpot
laid on its side and left them
in a snug corner on the other side
of the fence hoping the mother rabbit
and not some cat would come
and fix them up

then I went to the bar
and who knows but
of course they were gone
when I came home
and who knows
who knows what happened