30 Poems in 30 Days

30 Poems in 30 Days
NaPoWriMo
A Project for National Poetry Writing Month

Saturday, April 11, 2020

Day 11 Flower


Who Gave Me Back Geraniums

This poem is for Ursula
who gave me back geraniums
lemon-scented ones she kept
blooming in the windows
of her special ed classroom
(where I was her teacher’s aid)
who kept pots of them going
through winter somehow
and who gave me cuttings
which by some miracle
grew into lemon-scented
leaves then pink pompoms
in my own loft apartment
window and I say gave me
back because I’d watered
the ones on my grandfather’s
grave over and over and
geraniums grew only in pots
in the cemetery of my mind
and those were good geraniums
but their beauty was somehow
stolen by the sadness of the place
until Ursula filled them again with sun
then I went to France (after
Ursula) and the balconies
were all full of geraniums
and jasmine and now I
am in love with both
thanks to Ursula and France
who and which I love also