30 Poems in 30 Days

30 Poems in 30 Days
NaPoWriMo
A Project for National Poetry Writing Month

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Day 14 Under the Influence


Today's prompt was to write about a poet or poets who influence your work. I figured yesterday's poem on Emily Dickinson sort of counted. And it's hard to choose just one poet. So here's this.

Swirl

Under the Influence

Now i lay
me down
some hot-
cross buns
old mrs.
mack's back
and that English
boy band
in their yellow
submarine
Guthrie's land
was my land
New York
that's how
i started to be
a poet in
e.e. cummings
little letters in
the woods
with the woods
some mountains
and a river
of my own
and somehow
brautigan got
in there
and parker's
resume rhymes
brooks' sassy strut
frost's fence
whitman's lines
emily's image
hughes' melody
eliot's ragged claws
i got them all
or they got me
and that's very
the short version
of the story
of poetry
and me