30 Poems in 30 Days

30 Poems in 30 Days
NaPoWriMo
A Project for National Poetry Writing Month

Saturday, April 7, 2012

Day 4 A Blues Poem

A friend asked me to write a poem for a chapbook anthology she is making about the apocalypse.  This is what I came up with.

Apocalypse Blues

I did not wake up this morning, ‘cause this morning did not come
I did not wake up this morning, ‘cause morning did not come
that sky all full of space junk, got no room for any sun

I went down to the crossroads, so dark I couldn’t see
I went down to the crossroads, ink dark I could not see
Devil might have been there, but he couldn’t have found me

I read it in the good book, the end was drawing nigh
That’s what the good book says, the end is drawing nigh
But since I met you baby, I hope that good book lies

I thought your eyes were brown, but they’re really deep dark blue
I thought your eyes were brown, but they’re apocalyptic blue
And when you look at me like that, there’s nothing I can do

Well the world may be ending; the planet’s on its knees
They say the world is ending, planet on its knees
But when you give me that good lovin’, no apocalypse gonna bother me